Graduate/Pro Child Care Assistance and Other Services

The SPHC was historically founded, funded and charged to be an undergraduate focused student parent support program for younger at-risk, first BA students with children. In the 2016-17 academic year, graduate students became eligible for the MN State Post-Secondary Child Care Grant (PSCCG), which is co-managed at the University of Minnesota by the SPHC and the Office of Student Finance. 

With the PSCCG graduate student expansion and the newly established University of Minnesota Student Service Fees Child Care Assistance Scholarship, the Office for Student Affairs has provided funding for a part time dedicated SPHC staff position specifically focused on the needs of graduate student parents during the 2017-18 academic year. This SPHC staff member will provide the primary intake and child-care assistance screening for graduate and professional students, plan graduate student parent specific events and work to determine the programming needs of U of M graduate and professional student parents.

Expand all

Child Care Assistance

Post-Secondary Child Care Assistance Grant (PSCCG)

A state sponsored child-care assistance grant for undergraduate, graduate and professional students determined to be state residents based on the following criteria.  

Due to changing state income guidelines, eligibility screening should be done through the SPHC by contacting [email protected] or 612-626-6015.

U of MN-TC Student Service Fees Child Care Assistance Grant

A university sponsored grant designed to meet the needs of students unable to meet the residency and time-clock or residency eligibility criteria for the PSCCG. Undergraduates and graduate/professional students, including international students, are eligible to apply for this assistance grant as long as they are fee paying, meet income guidelines and other criteria.  Interested students who meet basic criteria should contact the SPHC to schedule an intake and screening appointment. See income guidelines below.

Income Guidelines

All grants are on a rolling application schedule until funds are depleted. However, students are encouraged to contact us for screening as early in each term as possible to assure best chance of funding.

Graduate Student Parent Events

Graduate Student Parent Events

Based on direct feedback from graduate student parents, we are moving toward larger format events specifically focused on graduate student parent and parenting faculty interactions. This idea came specifically from students who attended the 2016 Graduate Student Parent Group back .  

Those wanting further details or to be added to an email list for group announcements may contact us at [email protected] or 612-626-6015.

Staff Consultation, Resource and Referral

The Student Parent HELP Center has a licensed social worker designated to work with graduate and professional students. They can be reached directly at 612-625-2780.