Family Housing

Expand all

Housing-related Legal Services

University Student Legal Service

Services are provided to fee-paying University of Minnesota students and include lease review, tenant rights, deeds and contracts, repairs, security deposits, and evictions (unlawful detainer). Appointment required.


HOME Line provides free legal, organizing, educational and advocacy services so tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems.  HOME Line works to improve public and private policies relating to rental housing by involving affected tenants in the process.

Housing Search Sites


Non-profit organization focused on affordable housing for low-to-middle-income households. Offers a search tool and educational resources on housing related topics.

Off-Campus Housing Search

Provided by the U of M's Housing & Residential Life Off-Campus Housing Listing Service.

Community-Based Affordable and Subsidized Housing

CommonBond Communities

Nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing with services throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Serves over 10,000 people — including families, seniors, and people with disabilities and other barriers — throughout 50 cities. Must meet income guidelines and at least one person in the household cannot be a full time student.

Jeremiah Program

Provides subsidized housing and support services to single mothers and their children (under the age of five), must meet certain eligibility requirements. On-site child development center.

Metro HRA

Met Council housing program that administers the federal Housing Choice Voucher program and related programs on behalf of nearly 100 suburban and rural communities throughout Anoka, Carver, and most of suburban Hennepin and Ramsey Counties.

Minneapolis Public Housing Authority

Information on how to find and apply for public housing and Section 8 rental assistance.

St. Paul Rental Information

Provides information on subsidized rental listings in the Twin Cities metro area and contact information for applying for rental assistance through Ramsey County.

Campus Family Housing

General Information
There are two family housing cooperatives near the University of Minnesota for undergraduate and graduate students with families. One is closer to the St. Paul campus (Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative or CTC) and one is closer to the Minneapolis East Bank campus (Como Student Community Cooperative or CSCC). For general housing information: [email protected]. Links to both famil housing facilities are below. 

Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative (CTC)

1250 Fifield Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108
(651) 646-7526

Como Student Community Cooperative

1024 27th Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
(612) 378-2434