The Student Parent HELP Center (SPHC) offers on-location teen parent college encouragement presentations at local high schools, alternative programs, and community organizations. These presentations offer a wealth of college preparation, financial aid and Post-Secondary Child Care Grant information. As often as possible we try to co-present with one of our current U of M student parents, many of whom were teen parents themselves, to allow young moms and dads to hear the first-hand stories of college students who are successfully balancing parenting and academics. These presentations are not intended as a recruitment activity for the U of M, but rather are part of our on-going advocacy efforts to ensure student parent participation in higher education.
Examples of information shared at outreach events:
- Details about the state sponsored Post-Secondary Child Care Grant
- MFIP/public benefits and college
- Foster care and college tuition coverage
- College success tips from our trained staff and our own student parents who are already in college
- Financial aid basics
- Major and career track selection
- Overview of varied college options: Public and private, two year versus four year
- Information regarding other student parent support programs in the state of Minnesota
For further information or to schedule an on-site or campus visit please contact us.